Primitivo Viray, president of the Ateneo de Naga University and Bangsamoro
Why are you in favor of creating an Islamic state within the Philippines?
Moros are Muslims. They are the followers of the religion of Islam. Don't you know that Bangsamoro means Nation of Muslim? Bangsa means Nation and Moro means Muslim.
Why do you agree with the Moro leaders when they say that the Moros are the original people of Mindanao, Sulu, and Palawan, when you already know that the Moros only showed up in the Philippines in the year 1380? Or are you blind to this historical fact?
Do not even discuss the issues of territories. Throw this idea of the Bangsamoro in the trash can.
Aren't you aware that the Philippines has the "Separation of Church and State"? In other words, keep government away from Religion! Aren't you aware that the Philippines is not supposed to finance any religion?
Don't you know that creating a Bangsamoro State is in fact supporting and financing the religion of Islam?
Have you been bought and paid for by the Muslim leaders?
- Being a Muslim (Moro) does not make an individual an indigenous person. Being a Muslim (Moro) makes the individual the follower of the religion of Islam.
These are four Muslims from four different races. But if they become Filipino citizens, the Philippine government will classify them as indigenous. Only in the Philippines.
Muslims are not indigenous people. They are the followers of Islam.
Muslim (Moro) is not an ethnicity. Muslim by definition is an individual practicing the religion of ISLAM. Not all the Muslim (Moro) people in the Philippines are indigenous. There are several races in the Philippines practicing the religion of Islam and they are Muslim. But not all of them are indigenous. Take the Chinese Muslims in Tawi-Tawi, the Indian Muslim in Zamboanga, or the caucasian Muslim in CDO; all three belong to different races and ethnicity. Also the moros/muslims are preaching that the indigenous people of Mindanao and Sulu are Muslims or moros. They are preaching lies. These indigenous people practice and follow different religions besides Islam.
- Case in point via history: Let us take two indigenous tribes as an example. The tausugs of Sulu and the Maranaos of lake Lanao.
Before the Muslims (Moros) arrived in the archipelago, the Tausugs and the Maranaos were non-Muslims (Moros). They practiced their own forms of worship. Most say that they practiced the animistic beliefs and traditions. As history would record it, by the 14th century when the Muslims (Moros) arrived in the Philippines and started to convert the natives to the religion of Islam, these two tribes (Tausugs and Maranaos) were (most of them) converted into the religion of Islam. Not all the Tausugs and Maranaos are Moros but all of them are indigenous people. They were indigenous before they became Moros. Being Muslim (Moro) did not make them indigenous. Being Tausugs and Maranaos made them indigenous.
- Somehow, in the twisted minds of the legislators of the Philippines, they now classified all Moro-filipinos as indigenous people.
Muslim scholars, Muslim academia, Muslim politicians, and Muslim leaders will forever continue to break the line that divides religion from ethnicity, race, ancestry and inherited status. They will continue to complicate issues until the dividing line simply becomes a shade of gray. This push will not stop until the world will define the word Muslim (Moro) as an ethnicity and classify Moros as indigenous people.
To the Muslim, governance and religion are synonymous. If a Muslim is within a country that is not Islamic, he will simply tolerate the government. The Muslims in that country will cluster and unite in their unending effort to assimilate that country into their ISLAMIC fold. Time is not a factor.
A Muslim (Moro) is trained from childhood when asked for his/her race, to answer with "I am Muslim".
- Here is how the bangsamoro is It's trying to convince legislature that the Filipino-Muslims were the original inhabitants of Mindanao, Sulu, and Palawan
The BBL immediately makes an assumption that all the ancestral lands of the sulu archipelago, Mindanao and palawan all belongs to the Muslims (Moros). They made this assumption and they have the legislature fooled.
- Article II section 1 of the BBL defines the bangsamoro people as:"Those who at the time of conquest and colonization were considered natives or original inhabitants of Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago and its adjacent islands including Palawan, and their descendants, whether of mixed or of full blood, shall have the right to identify themselves as Bangsamoro by ascription or self-ascription. Spouses and their descendants are classified as Bangsamoro."
- Then Article II section 2 of the BBL talks a little about the indigenous people: "Freedom of Choice. – The freedom of choice of other indigenous peoples shall be respected."
Let me inform you folks. The "natives or original inhabitants" at the time of conquest and colonization were not the bangsamoro people. They were the indigenous people who practiced several forms of worship and one of them just happened to be Islam. Muslims (Bangsamoro) are not indigenous people. They are the followers of the religion of Islam.
Before the introduction of any religion or ideology into the Philippines, the indigenous people already had their own languages, traditions, beliefs and practices. These new introductions or additions simply became part of the original.
The Muslims (Moros) claim that they deserve their own state because they are the original inhabitants of Mindanao, Sulu and Palawan. WRONG! Muslims (Moros) are the followers of Islam. The original inhabitants were the indigenous people. Muslims are not indigenous people, neither is it an ethnicity. If a tribe converts to Islam and all the members of that tribe become Muslims, it does not make the Muslims indigenous, it only makes the indigenous people in that tribe Muslims. The creation of the bangsamoro is based on the biggest lie in history. They claim to be the original inhabitants of Mindanao, Sulu and Palawan.
As an added bonus, they will try to re-write history and the meaning of the word "muslim". They will try to claim to be the original inhabitants of the area. They will try to convince legislature at all cost that they are an ethnicity and indigenous to the locality. Last but not the least, convince the masses that Muslim is a race. Hence they coined the word "half-muslim".
This push by the Muslims (Moros) for a state of their own is not just from the Muslims within the Philippines. Other Islamic countries are involved. The country that stands out in full support of the Muslims (Moros) in the Philippines is the country of Malaysia. They have been involved since 2007 with the former president Arroyo.
The religion of Islam should be treated just like any other religions in the Philippines. The Philippines should uphold the "separation of church and state as it is stated in the constitution. The government should not financially support any religion. Giving the bangsamoro a state of its own is a violation of the constitution. It is financially supporting the religion of Islam.
The Philippine Government is religiously biased. To defeat the BBL or Bangsamoro once and for all, legislature must be convinced that the Bangsamoro people were not the original "natives or inhabitants" of the entire Philippine archipelago or the sulu archipelago, mindanao or palwawan for that matter.
To reiterate: The indigenous people were the original "natives or inhabitants" and not the Bangsamoro. The bangsamoro (nation of muslims) people are not indigenous people.
- Muslims are the followers of Islam
- Moros are Muslims.
- Bangsamoro is Nation of Muslims
- Bangsamoro Lied when it claimed that they were the original inhabitants of Mindanao, Sulu and Palawan.
- A moro or muslim may be an indigenous person (tausug or other indigenous people) but just by being a muslim or moro does not make anyone indigenous.
- The indigenous people were the original inhabitants and just because some of them converted to Islam does not make the Muslims, Moros or Bangsamoro the original inhabitants of Mindanao, Sulu, and Palawan.
Ateneo Presidents in favor of the BBL (Bangsamoro) and signs a document supporting it
Here is the pdf format of the file: https://www.zamboanga.com/z/images/8/89/Ateneos_presidents_in_favor_of_BBL_in_2015.pdf