Catanduanes Province, Philippines
Seal of Catanduanes Province
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of Catanduanes|
Catanduanes Provincial Capitol
Catanduanes Province, Philippines
- Catanduanes has 11 Municipalities and 0 Cities, and 315 barangays. The barangays of Catanduanes are listed within each municipality. - Every barangay in the province of Catanduanes has an Interactive Webpage of its own.
- Catanduanes Registered Voters as of (2010) = 122,313
- Catanduanes Population (as of Aug 1, 2007) = 232,757
- Land Area (as of 2007, in hectares) = 149,216
- Catanduanes is a 3rd class province.
- The Island province of Catanduanes is in Region V - Bicol Region and within the Southern part of the island of luzon.
- Capital of the province is Virac
- 1 Geography of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 2 Location of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 3 History of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 4 People of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 5 Elected Government Officials of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 6 Businesses in Catanduanes, Philippines
- 7 Real Estate or Properties for Sale or lease in Catanduanes, Philippines
- 8 Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Catanduanes, Philippines
- 9 Schools in Catanduanes, Philippines
- 10 Economy of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 11 Tourists Attractions of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 12 Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 13 Philippine News
- 14 Catanduanes Zip Codes
- 15 Natural Resources of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 16 Catanduanes, Philippines supports Philippine Cycling
- 17 The oldest living man or woman in Catanduanes, Philippines
- 18 Catanduanes, Philippines Photo Gallery
- 19 Disclaimer
Geography of Catanduanes, Philippines
The island province of Catanduanes is a kidney-shaped island at the easternmost seaboard of the Philippines. It is the first landmass of the Philippine archipelago to kiss the Pacific Ocean at 13 degrees to 14 degrees north latitude and 124 degrees to 125.5 degrees longitude. A part of Bicol Region, Catanduanes is the 12th largest island of the Philippines and is separated from the Bicol peninsula by the Maqueda Channel and Lagonoy Gulf.
Catanduanes is a lush island of mountains and water. Forest cover about 46 percent of the total land area. Surfacing from the mountains are numerous springs, waterfalls and rivers training out into the ocean. The island is lined with more than 20 islets and rocks that give it an interesting shoreline. It also provides the choice of deed swells and surfs of the Pacific Ocean in the northeastern tip. On the southern tip, one can view the gentle lolling of the ebb and the flow of the waters of Maqueda Channel over its over its cream sand beaches.
- Article copied verbatim from: http://r5.denr.gov.ph/
Location of Catanduanes, Philippines
- 13.8333° N, 124.2500° E - Catanduanes, Coordinates
Catanduanes is an island province of the Philippines located in the Bicol Region in Luzon.
History of Catanduanes, Philippines
The province, formerly known as “Catanduan,” “Catandognan,” and finally, “Catanduanes,” derived its name from the “tando” trees which then abound in the Island. In 1573, Juan de Saceldo explored Catanduanes. Later, on January 6, 1576, Fr. Diego de Herrera with nine Augustinians sailed from Acapulco to the Philippines aboard the galleon, “Espiritu Santo.”
Although it was reported that the galleon was shipwrecked near the coast of Catanduanes in April 1576, the others claimed that the disaster was caused by bad weather and all the crewmembers perished. Some said that the survivors were either killed by natives or made servants of a certain “Datu” of the island Catanduanes was once a part of Ibalon, now Albay. The ecclesiastical mission in the province was controlled by Nueva Caceres. However, in 1582, it was allotted to four “encomendoeros.
In 1663, Fr. Francisco Colin, SJ. described the inhabitants as noted shipbuilders, without using nails or futtock timbers In 1755, the Muslims overran the island, defeated the “alcalde mayor,” and pillaged and burned the towns including important ecclesiastical and municipal records.
During the Philippine Revolution, the Spaniards left Catanduanes on a motorboat named Josefa on September 18, 1898, before the arrival of the first Philippine revolutionary troops under Major Estanislao Legazpi When the Philippine-American war broke out, Brigadier General William A. Kobbe occupied Virac on January 24, 1900. The island was governed by Japanese Imperial Forces after they occupied Legazpi in 1941. After the liberation of Bikol region in 1945, including Catanduanes, the United States Armed Forces maintained a military base in Panay island.
On September 26, 1945, Commonwealth Act. No. 687, Catanduanes (a subprovince of Albay) became a separate and independent province. Under Republic Act No. 159, dated June 26, 1947, the former municipality of Caramoan was recreated out of the Municipality of Pandan; under R.A. No. 491, dated June 12, 1950, the Municipality of Bagamanoc was also created. In the town of Bato, Msgr. Teotimo Pacis, Bishop of Legazpi, declared the Holy Cross of Batalay as a Diocesan Shrine on April 1, 1973. The cross was said to be the place by Geronimo Galves at the burial site of Fr. Herrera in 1576.
- This article was copied verbatim from: http://3ikolandia.blogspot.com/
People of Catanduanes, Philippines
- For 2015 Catanduanes Population = 262,964
- For 2010 Catanduanes Population = 246,300
- Registered voters as of 2010: 122,313
|Elected officials of Catanduanes for the term of 2016-2019|
|Board Members of Catanduanes|
- Elected officials of Catanduanes for the term of 2013-2016
- Provincial Governor Wong, Araceli Bernardino
- Provincial Vice-Governor of Catanduanes: Jose Joson Teves Jr. - LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS
- House Representative of Catanduanes:Cesar Vergara Sarmiento - LIBERAL PARTY
- First District: Member, Sangguniang Panlalawigan
- Reyes, Jorge Cambonga
- Francisco, Jose Romeo Rubio
- Balmadrid, Giovanni Aldave
- Asanza, Nel Bien
- Second District: Member, Sangguniang Panlalawigan
- Tanael, Edwin Tawat
- Templonuevo, Lorenzo Jr. Timajo
- Turado, Arnel Barrameda
- Tatel, Marilyn Tolledo
- Elected officials of Catanduanes for the term of 2010-2013
- Provincial Governor: Joseph "Boboy" Chua Cua
- Provincial Vice-Governor: Jose Joson Teves Jr.
- House Representative:Cesar Vergara Sarmiento
- Provincial Board Members:
- Elected officials of Catanduanes for the term of 2007-2010
- Governor of Catanduanes for the term of 2007-2010
- Member(s) of the House of Representatives of Catanduanes for the term of 2007-2010
Barangay Elected Officials of Catanduanes Province
Businesses in Catanduanes, Philippines
- How to Improve Your Business and Livelihood
The Philippine Livelihood Program: The Philippine government provides several programs to enhance the livelihood of the Filipino people. The department of Science and Technology through its Technology Research Center (TRC) regurlarly conducts various types of hands-on and personalized training programs.
- DOST - Website
- UPLiFT stands for Urban Program for Livelihood Finance and Training. - Website
- DSWD Pro-poor and Livelihood Programs - Website
Take a picture of your Business (from a Sari-Sari Store to a Mega Mall). Upload that picture here in zamboanga.com and that picture can immediately be your business webpage. It is that easy. Here are two examples of how a picture becomes the webpage of the business: FHM Garden Grill and Catering and ABC Shopping Center
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Possible Businesses
- Auto, Trucks, Motorcycle and Bicycle dealers
- Banks, Lending Firms, Pawnshops, and Financial Institutions
- Clinics, Veterinary Clinics and Hospitals
- Pharmacies, Drug Stores, Agri-Vets
- Convenient Stores, Hardware and Supplies, General Stores, Sari-Sari Stores, Internet-Cafes
- Department Stores and Appliance Stores
- Supermarket, wet market, Fish Markets
- Hotels, Motels, Pension Houses, Boarding houses and Resorts
- Repair Shops: Shoe repair, Cellphone, Bikes (bicycles), motorcycles etc...
- Restaurants, Carenderias, Coffee Shops, and Bakeries (Bakeshops)
- Salons, Spas, Beauty Shops and Barber Shops
- Gas Stations, Water Stations, Propane Stations
Real Estate or Properties for Sale or lease in Catanduanes, Philippines
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Catanduanes, you can list that property for free.
- Click to VIEW, EDIT or ADD Realty Listings.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here.
- If you are a real estate developer, you can list your subdivision, condominiums, high rises, apartment complexes, shopping strips or malls, open market developments here for Free.
Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Catanduanes, Philippines
The name of your church, mosque, or place of worship can be listed in this community page. Take a picture of the facade of your church or place of worship and it can be posted here. We can even provide you with a free webpage. You can enter the data (story about your place of worship) here yourself, email the information or pictures to (email@example.com) or via.
- FILIPINOS WAKE UP! THE TAXES YOU PAID ARE USED BY THE GOVERNMENT TO EXCLUSIVELY FINANCE THE RELIGION OF ISLAM.
Freedom of religion, yes. Equality, yes. But no favoritism.
- List the Mosques or Masjid in Catanduanes here.
- List the Catholic churches and chapels in Catanduanes here.
- List the Methodist churches in Catanduanes here.
- List the Iglesia Ni Cristo churches in Catanduanes here.
- List the Seventh-day Adventist churches in Catanduanes here.
- List the Church of Jesus Christ Latter day Saints (Mormons) churches in Catanduanes here.
- List the Presbyterian churches in Catanduanes here.
- List the Baptist churches in Catanduanes here.
Schools in Catanduanes, Philippines
- Take a picture of your school building(s) and send your pictures via email to (firstname.lastname@example.org) or message me via . I will then post the pictures in this page.
School year 2018-2019 starts Monday, Monday, June 4, 2018 and ends on Friday, April 5, 2019, for public elementary and secondary schools. The School Year shall consist of 208 school days inclusive of the five-day In-Service Training and the three days for the Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC) conducted within the school year. However, learners are expected to be in school for a total of 200 class days.
- List of schools: >>> click
PUBLIC NOTICE: Why pretend that the National language of the Philippines is Tagalog? It should be English. To be a Teacher, doctor, lawyer, engineer, architect, nurse, computer technician; what books do you learn from? English books of course. All your tests are in English. The constitution of the Philippines is written in English. All the laws and new laws introduced by congress are in English. For that matter, you can't be a teacher in a school system unless you know English. The "Licensure Exam for Teachers" is in ENGLISH! Who are these people forcing Tagalog down our throats? Tagalog is simply one of the many dialects of the Philippines. Keep your dialects but learn and be proficient in ENGLISH.
The name of your school in Catanduanes can be listed here. You can list it like this:
- Name of School. Private or Public. It can be an elementary school, high school, college.
- Address of your school
- Telephone Number
- Principal of the school
You can also create a webpage for your school. We can help you.
Economy of Catanduanes, Philippines
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Catanduanes you can post that article here. If you come across any news item that talks about the economy of Catanduanes, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
If you have a job available and that job is within the Province of Catanduanes, Philippines, you may post it here.
Remember to be as descriptive as possible and to post your Company name, Contact person, physical address, email address and Phone number..
Post expiration of Job Application. Go ahead and Click to Insert your job offer in the "Jobs in Catanduanes Philippines" page.
Tourists Attractions of Catanduanes, Philippines
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Catanduanes in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Catanduanes. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Catanduanes landmarks here.
Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Catanduanes, Philippines
In the Philippines a fiesta is usually celebrated in barrios or barangays. It is the official holiday of the LGU, the barangay. Filipinos love fiestas. It is a time for joy and celebration. A fiesta is of Spanish origin and is usually commemorated in association with a christian patron saint. Most barangays whose population have been clustered by Muslims(Moros) and their population is more than that of the Christians, the celebration of the fiesta have been cancelled and replaced with the Hari Raya or Eid al-Fitr.
The cities or municipalities usually have yearly festivals where all the barangays participate. The cities or municipalities hold contests for the best floats in parades.
- PH, SoKor vow to strengthen economic ties
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019
- The Philippines remains committed to strengthen its partnership with South Korea in the light of the latter’s plan to expand assistance to the Association of Southeast Asian Nation (Asean).
- Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez expressed to delegates from the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) led by its president Lee Mikyung the Philippines’ appreciation over KOICA’s support for the government’s efforts to enhance the use of digital technology in improving tax administration through its support for the electronic invoicing and receipts system of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) ........... Full Story»
- Philippines now in longest dollar inflow winning streak since 2013
- Tuesday, May 21, 2019
- MANILA, Philippines – Net dollar inflows into the Philippine economy surged to their highest level in almost six years due to a trifecta of substantial remittances from overseas Filipino workers, and a surge of both short- and long-term investments into the country.
- More importantly, the strong performance of the country’s balance of payments (BOP) — the aggregate net value of all transactions for goods and services with the rest of the world — in the first four months of the year marks the longest streak of foreign currency inflows outdoing outflows since 2014 ........... Full Story»
- Diaz, national athletes back Bandana Run
- Wednesday, May 22, 2019 4:47 am
- The country’s leading national athletes, led by Rio Olympics silver medallist Hidilyn Diaz and athletes from Go For Gold, are expected to participate in the Fit.ph Bandana Run 2019 scheduled for Saturday, May 25 at Philippine Army Camp in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig.
- “Let’s run with a purpose. Let’s help these kids with cancer who are now fighting for their lives,” said Karen Tanchanco-Caballero, one of the organizers of the Bandana Run, during her appearance in the 22nd TOPS “Usapang Sports” at the National Press Club in Intramuros last May 16 ............................... Full Story»
Catanduanes Zip Codes
- Source: Philippine Postal Corporation
- This table is Sortable by City/Municipality or by ZipCode
|Click on Icon to Sort
|Click on Icon to Sort
Natural Resources of Catanduanes, Philippines
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Roy Cimatu - since May 8, 2017
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power and thermal energy conversion. We have too many black outs.
Catanduanes, Philippines supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be shown in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages. Your 2015 Cycling Race or Activity can be Posted here.
- ILOILO CITY, April 27-May 2, 2015 (PNA) – Some 5,000 bikers are expected to join the second Iloilo Bike Festival slated April 27-May 2, 2015 as the city continues to aspire to become a bike-able walkable metropolis. The activity that supported by the John B. Lacson Foundation Maritime University (JBLFMU) and Megaworld Iloilo aims to promote Iloilo as a safe and bike friendly city, promote the share-a-road movement encourage Ilonggos to commute via biking and raise Ilonggos awareness on the benefits of biking on health, safety and environment concerns. Read More....
- CYCLING Le Tour de Filipinas 2015 set as country celebrates 60 years of top-caliber cycling Feb 1 to Feb 4 2015 - View the result of the race: A four stage race. Stage 1 starts in Balanga and back to Balanga for a 126K race Feb 1, 2015 (Sunday); stage 2 starts in Balanga, Bataan to Iba, Zambales for a 154.7 K race Feb 2, 2015 (Monday); stage 3 starts in Iba, Zambales to Lingayen, Pangasinan for a 150.1K race Feb 3, 2015 (Tuesday); stage 4 starts in Lingayen, Pangasinan to Baguio City, Benguet for a 101.7K race Feb 4, 2015 (Wednesday). For a total distance of 532.5 Kms. Read More >>>
- Ronda Pilipinas: Feb 8 - 27 2015:>> Discovering young riders for the national team will be the main objective of the LBC Ronda Pilipinas 2015 when the country’s premiere cycling race hits the road on Feb. 8 in Butuan City. Ronda Pilipinas executive project director Moe Chulani said the international multistage bikathon, which ends on Feb. 27, will have two qualifying legs of four stages each in Mindanao and the Visayas where the top riders will advance to face a tough foreign challenge in the six-stage Luzon finale. Read More>>>
The oldest living man or woman in Catanduanes, Philippines
Do you know who the oldest living man or woman is in Catanduanes? Zamboanga.com is starting this inquiry in order to honor the older generation of the Philippines. Please provide the full name and date of birth of the elder living in Catanduanes. We will then post your entry in the Oldest Living Man or Woman in the Philippines page.
- Do the following so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Catanduanes.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Catanduanes, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
=[[Catanduanes Province, Philippines]]=
Most of the contents in this site are from registered user collaborations. Information has also been taken from the Department of Tourism, Comelec, National Statistical Coordination Board, DILG: Department of the Interior and Local Government, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.