Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
Antipolo Del Norte • Antipolo Del Sur • Balite • Batag • Bigaa • Buenavista • Buyo • Cabihian • Calabnigan • Calampong • Calatagan Proper • Calatagan Tibang • Capilihan • Casoocan • Cavinitan • Concepcion (Pob.) • Constantino (Pob.) • Danicop • Dugui San Isidro • Dugui San Vicente • Dugui Too • F. Tacorda Village • Francia (Pob.) • Gogon Centro • Gogon Sirangan • Hawan Grande • Hawan Ilaya • Hicming • Ibong Sapa (San Vicente Sur) • Igang • Juan M. Alberto (Poniton) • Lanao (Pob.) • Magnesia Del Norte • Magnesia Del Sur • Marcelo Alberto (Pob.) • Marilima • Pajo Baguio • Pajo San Isidro • Palnab Del Norte • Palnab Del Sur • Palta Big • Palta Salvacion • Palta Small • Rawis (Pob.) • Salvacion • San Isidro Village • San Jose (Pob.) • San Juan (Pob.) • San Pablo (Pob.) • San Pedro (Pob.) • San Roque (Pob.) • San Vicente • Santa Cruz • Santa Elena (Pob.) • Santo Cristo • Santo Domingo • Santo Niño • Simamla • Sogod-Simamla • Sogod-Tibgao • Talisoy • Tubaon • Valencia
- Virac is the capital of the province of Catanduanes it is in the Catanduanes island province and within Region V – Bicol Region. Virac is a 1st class Municipality and Partially Urban.
|Adopt this webpage. Help your community get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Help us improve this webpage.|
Seal of Virac Municipality
Please upload Picture
Virac Catanduanes Philippines
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of Catanduanes|
Virac Municipality Hall
Catanduanes state colleges
- Virac has a total of 63 barangays.
- Registered Voters of Virac as of (2010) = 36,154
- Virac is in the "LONE" Voting Congressional District of Catanduanes.
- Population of Virac (as of Aug 1, 2007) = 64,554
- Land Area of Virac (as of 2007, in hectares) = 15,240
- Virac is a 1st class Municipality and Partially Urban.
- Virac is in the Catanduanes island province and within Region V – Bicol Region.
- Virac is the capital of the province of Catanduanes
Geography of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
Geography of Virac
Location of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
Virac is located ....
History of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
The actual founding of Virac as a distinct political unit is closely associated with the evangelization of its original inhabitants by the Spanish conquistadores in the middle of the 16th century. Records of the past are so fragile, inconsistent and incomplete that events presented are an admixture of facts and folklore. Virac became officially recognized as a unit of governance only in 1755 as it was only during that year when records were started to be faithfully kept.
The first settlers to have set foot in the island province of Catanduanes were the scions of Bornean datus who came to the island of Panay and spread through the length and breadth of the Philippine archipelago in the 13th century. The first signs of human activity which began to be manifested in the middle of the 14th century were presumed to be that of the Malays who populated and developed some parts of Southern Luzon during the period.
Other adventurers in search of better opportunities for trade and commerce eventually stayed and established settlements along the coastal confines of this tiny island during the 11th century.
The Naming of Virac
From the exploits of Juan de Salcedo, Virac was first visited in 1573 by his own men in pursuit of pirates operating in the Bicol Peninsula. In Virac, the Spanish found a tribe under the leadership of one Datu Lumibao, scion of Datu Dumaguil who came to the Philippines with the 13 Malay datus and his wife Melbigan and son Macaco who settled near Vidak spring and founded the first civilized settlement with a score of servant followers and their wives. Some say Virac is a derivation of the word "Vidac" while others claim it is a contraction of the Spanish version of the word burac, meaning flower.
A few weeks after the suppression of the pirates, the Spaniards returned with Dominican missionaries. Offering friendship and gifts, they were able to convert the tribe into the fold of Christendom. The first tribe conversion thus became Spain's initial foothold to the island's eventual Christianization.
In the 16th to 17th century, after establish and Christianizing settlements, a form of governance called "Encommiendas" was subsequently introduced as a guide to the socio-political development of each community.
The turbulent years of the late 18th century brought about by the sporadic incursions of the non-Christians on the prosperous settlements along the coast spawned myths about local heroes and essentially hastened the unification of Virac into a strong bastion against the forces opposed to Christianity. Stone chapels which proliferated along the coastal barangays had for years alternately served as places of refuge and worship of its people.
The growing concern for better recognition and more participation of the natives in government affairs gave rise to rebellion. The nationwide uprising was upheld but lacked the necessary support due to the fairer treatment obtained locally.
Local resistance to the abrupt change of masters was more vigorous and gained wider acceptance. Not as eager to relinquish their hard-fought freedom, the "Katipuneros" refused to recognize the sovereignty of the new masters and fled to the mountains. The Americans' might however, proved too formidable and quickly, all oppositions were subdued.
The American occupation ended in 1934 with the establishment of the Philippine Commonwealth.
With hardly a brief respite from foreign occupation, World War II brought new and untold woes, hardship and anxieties. Catanduanes was not spared from the Japanese onslaught. The Kamikura Regime established a puppet government centered on the capital town of Virac. All economic activities virtually stood at standstill. Even schools were temporarily closed.
The liberation of Catanduanes took place at what is now the present municipal building and the Virac Parish Cathedral. On February 8, 1945, the local guerrillas gained full control of the Japanese barracks.
On April 22, 1945, Virac resumed its normal operations under the regime of the Philippine Civil Affairs Unit.
Post American Liberation
The challenge of rebuilding the municipality from the ravages of the war was put on the shoulders of Florencio Tacorda, Geronimo Tabuzo and Primo Panti who, among themselves, held the stewardship of Virac from 1945 to 1957.
Pre and Martial Law Era
From 1958-1970, Salvador Surtida took over followed by Jorge Arcilla from 1970-1986, two of the longest reigning local executives in the history of Virac. This period witnessed the ascendancy to national prominence of the Alberto brothers, Juan, Jose and Vicente, who doubtlessly brought progress and influenced the massive physical transformation of the municipality when Salvador Surtida and Jorge Arcilla were mayors. Foremost among the many infrastructure projects were the Catanduanes State Colleges and the Eastern Bicol Medical Center which placed Virac in the map as a major educational and health center in the Bicol Region.
The growth of Virac in terms of governance peaked in 1972. From the original 34 barangays in 1960, Virac was able to establish 29 new communities to upgrade to the present composition of 63 barangays. The declaration of martial law on September 21, 1972, despite the alleged rampant atrocities, had, by and large, no ill effects on the lives of the constituency, who by nature are peace-loving and law-abiding citizens.
The EDSA Revolution in1986 which toppled down the more than two decades of Marcos regime had a domino effect on the political structure of Virac. The replacement of the elected officials by appointed officials was in accordance with the Freedom Constitution which predominated during the revolutionary government from 1986 to1992. Rodulfo Sarmiento, a doctor by profession held the reins of the municipal government.
The early nineties and onward saw the alternate changing of guard at the helm of local governance between Rodulfo Sarmiento and Jose "Cito" Alberto II, the son of Congressman Jose Alberto. The operation of the ferry boat which facilitates the transfer of goods and services from the Bicol mainland to Virac ushered in the vibrance in trade and commerce as manifested by the modern unseen before but now dotting the commercial centers and the bee-line of private and public conveyances plying the streets. Growing political maturity has been apparent in barangay affairs operation and so with the swell in the number of non-government organizations which is an indication of growing people empowerment.
With the advent of the third millennium came the resurgence of the physical face lift of Virac as more public structures have been erected and upgraded during the second "tour of duty" of incumbent Mayor Jose "Cito" Alberto.
The socio-political annals of Virac shall continue to increase its pages and one thing is certain: the municipality stands to gain - physically, economically and socially in its self-waged battle for progress. (source verbatim from: http://www.virac-catanduanes.gov.ph/)
People of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
- Total Population of Virac as of May 1, 2010 census: 66,951
- Registered voters as of 2010: 38,507
Local Government Unit LGU of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
The Sangguniang Panlungsod is composed of the City (Municipality) Vice-Mayor as Presiding Officer, regular Sanggunian members (Councilors), the President of the Association of Barangay Captains and the President of the Sangguniang Kabataan.
They shall exercise and perform the legislative powers and duties as provided for under Republic Act No. 7160, otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991. Shall consider and conduct thorough study all matters brought to their attention and consequently pass resolutions, enact ordinances and to introduce recommendations.
- Elected officials of Virac for the term of 2013-2016
- Mayor of Virac: ALBERTO, FLERIDA - NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION
- Vice-Mayor of Virac: Roy Villanueva Laynes - NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION
- Councilors of Virac:
- BAGADIONG, REYNANTE (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 19759 10.26%
- ZAFE, HERMIN (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 18925 9.82%
- GIANAN, TOY (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 17525 9.10%
- ABUNDO, SHIRLEY (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 16701 8.67%
- MENDOZA, TOTO (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 16103 8.36%
- CANDELARIA, VIRGILIO (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 15040 7.81%
- ABICHUELA, AMADOR (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 13265 6.89%
- ABUNDO, ALIP (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 12582 6.53%
- Elected officials of Virac for the term of 2010-2013
- Mayor: Jose Ubalde Alberto II
- Vice-Mayor: Roy Villanueva Laynes
Barangays Elected Officials of Virac, Catanduanes
Businesses in Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
- We invite you to list your business located in Virac.
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Resorts, restaurants, pension houses, or hotels are welcome to be listed here.
- Bakery, Mechanical Shop, Bicycle Shop, Tailor shops can be listed here.
- If you have a pharmacy or gas station, it can be listed here too.
- Hardware stores, Agrivets, salon, spas, etc. are welcome to be listed.
- We do not allow external links except for our sponsors zamboanga.com and maletsky.com. If you have an external site for your business you may not link to it in Z-Wiki but you can point to it. e.g. list it like this: www.my??business.com - this tells the people of your website but it does not link to it.
- Businesses in Virac
- The name of your business, address, phone number
Real Estate for Sale in Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Virac, you can list that property for FREE HERE in Z-wiki.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale for free here in Z-Wiki
Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
The name of your church, mosque, or place of worship can be listed here. We can even provide you with a free webpage for you. We can help you.
Schools in Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
The name of your school in Virac can be listed here. You can list it like this:
- Name of School. Private or Public. It can be an elementary school, high school, college.
- Address of your school
- Telephone Number
- Principal of the school
You can also create a webpage for your school. We can help you.
Economy of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Virac you can post that article here. If you come across any news items that talk about the economy of Virac, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
Natural Resources of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Virac in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Virac. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Virac landmarks here.
Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
Every city has some sort of a festival or tradition that is celebrated every year. In the Philippines almost all barangays that are predominantly populated by Christians celebrate fiesta. Tell us about the festivals, fiestas and traditions of Virac.
Your Story about Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
Tell your story about Virac. You can talk about the good things in Virac or simply talk about the past. You can talk about the eco-system of Virac. What is the local LGU doing about the preservation of your natural resources? The topic can start here and once it gets bigger it can have a page of its own in Z-Wiki. It's all up to you.
Sports News of Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines
Every community has its sports hero. Who is the sports hero of Virac? Are there any basketball courts, tennis courts, volleyball courts, baseball fields, softball fields, or any type of sports area or arena in Virac? Go ahead and list any upcoming sports events in Virac.
- Army awards medals to 'world's fastest dragon boat crew'
- Monday, September 22, 2014 3:14 pm
- MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Army on Friday conferred military merit medals to the members of its Dragon Boat Team, considered the fastest in the world.
- In a statement Monday, the Philippine Army said the recent win of the team at the 9th International Boat Federation Club Crews World Championships in Standiana Bacin, Italy earlier this month was particularly notable ............................. Full Story»
News and Events
- President Aquino to promote Philippine manufacturing sector in the US
- Monday, September 22, 2014
- BOSTON, Massachusetts, Sept. 22 -- President Benigno S. Aquino III will promote the country's manufacturing sector when he delivers messages at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University here in Massachusetts and at Columbia University in New York, Ambassador Jose Cuisia said.
- "As you know, we’re trying to promote the manufacturing sector," Ambassador Cuisia said in an interview here on Saturday (Boston time) ........................ Full Story»
- President Aquino sees 2015 a banner year for Philippine economy
- Sunday, September 21, 2014
- PARIS, France, Sep 21 -- Given the unprecedented investor confidence enjoyed by the Philipppines, President Benigno S. Aquino III on Thursday said he expects 2015 to be a banner year for the country.
- Speaking before a forum organized by the French Institute for International Relations here, President Aquino said all the factors needed to allow the country to build the momentum are already in place ........................ Full Story»
Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be posted in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages
- Do the following so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Virac.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Virac, Catanduanes, Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Catanduanes, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
*[[Virac, Catanduanes, Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are taken from the department of tourism, comelec, natioanal statistical board, DILG, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.