Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
Annafunan West •
Atulayan Norte •
Atulayan Sur •
Caritan Centro •
Caritan Norte •
Caritan Sur •
Cataggaman Nuevo •
Cataggaman Pardo •
Cataggaman Viejo •
Centro 1 •
Centro 2 •
Centro 3 •
Centro 4 •
Centro 5 •
Centro 6 •
Centro 7 •
Centro 8 •
Centro 9 •
Centro 10 •
Centro 11 •
Centro 12 •
Gosi Norte •
Gosi Sur •
Larion Alto •
Larion Bajo •
Libag Norte •
Libag Sur •
Linao East •
Linao Norte •
Linao West •
Nambbalan Norte •
Nambbalan Sur •
Pallua Norte •
Pallua Sur •
San Gabriel •
Ugac Norte •
We ask the SK Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage with information updates or Picture Uploads to promote tourism and attract investors.
- Tuguegarao City is the capital City of the Cagayan Province and is in the Cagayan province and within Region II-Cagayan Valley in the island of Luzon. Tuguegarao City is a 3rd class Component City and Partially Urban.
- If you do not have a community website yet, no need to create your own community website. We have already done it for you. Just adopt this site then any registered user can maintain the site. No need for special IT training. Most of all zamboanga.com is here to help you. It is all FREE.
- If you already have your own site, use this site as a supplement. You will get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Link to it specially for the barangay pages.
- If you have a Facebook Page (Social Media site), supplement it with this WIKI page (Information Dissemination site). It will help promote your LGU.
- Most importantly all the regions, provinces, cities, municipalities, and barangays are linked. Nobody else in the world has this. Nobody!
List of Municipalities in the Cagayan province within Region II in the Republic of The Philippines
Abulug | Alcala | Allacapan | Amulung | Aparri | Baggao | Ballesteros | Buguey | Calayan | Camalaniugan | Claveria | Enrile | Gattaran | Gonzaga | Iguig | Lal-Lo | Lasam | Pamplona | Peñablanca | Piat | Rizal | Sanchez-Mira | Santa Ana | Santa Praxedes | Santa Teresita | Santo Niño | Solana | Tuao
Cities in the province of Cagayan: Tuguegarao City (Capital)
Seal of Tuguegarao City
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of Tuguegarao City|
Tuguegarao City within Cagayan Province
Cagayan Province within The Philippines
Tuguegarao City Hall
Saints Peter and Paul Metropolitan Cathedral
- Tuguegarao City has a total of 49 barangays.
- Registered Voters of Tuguegarao City as of (2010) = 73,226
- Tuguegarao City is in the "3rd" Voting Congressional District of Cagayan.
- Population of Tuguegarao City (as of Aug 1, 2007) = 129,539
- Land Area of Tuguegarao City (as of 2007, in hectares) = 14,480
- Tuguegarao City is a 3rd class Component City and Partially Urban.
- Tuguegarao City is in the Cagayan province and within Region II-Cagayan Valley in the island of Luzon.
- Tuguegarao City is the capital City of the Cagayan Province.
Geography of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
Geography of Tuguegarao City
Location of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
- Tuguegarao City is in the Cagayan province and within Region II-Cagayan Valley in the island of Luzon.
History of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
Origin of the Name Tuguegarao
There are several versions of the origin of the name, Tuguegarao. One is the abundance of "tarrao" trees in the area. Another is "garrao" meaning swift current, possibly of the Pinacanauan River. Another is from the word "tuggui" meaning fire. Another recorded version is, the town was formerly called Twerao by the people of the northern towns. Still another is that the name Tuguegarao comes from two Ibanag words "tuggui" (fire) and "aggao" (day), possibly referring to a daytime fire that happened in the town.
However, the version most accepted is that the name Tuguegarao comes from the sentence "Tuggui gari yaw", meaning "This was cleared by fire" possibly referring to the kaingin areas pointed by the natives to the Spaniards. This means therefore that the town, Tuguegarao, was carved out of the wilderness by fire.
Founding of the Town
It was a small settlement, in terms of population but was big in territory until 1850s. It was governed as a barangay until the Spaniards gave it the status of "mission-pueblo" on May 9, 1604, making it one of the political units of the province of Cagayan, which then included all the territory which later became the province of Isabela, Nueva Vizcaya and Quirino. Actually, it was in the year 1600 when the Spaniards first visited Tuguegarao. The natives fled to the outlying wilderness, because they felt that unlike the Chinese, Japanese and Indians who came only to trade, it was clear that the newcomers were here to settle and govern them. The Dominican friars coaxed the natives through evangelization, education and the improvement of livelihood methods. Reforms for social and material upliftment were worked out. Chapels and barrios were built, with each barrio having its own patron saint. Elaborate fiestas were held in honor of the patron saint. Slowly, the natives returned to their homes in the lowland.
As a mission-pueblo and with assigned encomenderos to Tuguegarao, the inhabitants were made to pay taxes in the form of poultry products and other foodstuffs. Resentment flared. The people of Tuguegarao revolved in 1605, killing the encomendero. Again, the people of Tuguegarao revolted in 1718 and then 1761 with a leader named Rivera.
The original inhabitants of Tuguegarao were Itawes, a group of Malays who arrived in the island sometime between 200 B.C. and 300 A.D. The various groups of immigrants drove the Atta (very short, dark-skinned nomad with very curly hair) to the mountains. The Itawes were later taught the Ibanag dialect by the Spaniards as the medium of Christianization and trading during the Tobacco Monopoly, which explains why several Spanish words are interspersed in the local dialect. However, in the rural communities, Itawes continue to be the native tongue. The means of livelihood of the natives were fishing, hunting, farming and livestock raising.
Tuguegarao in the 1980s and 1990s
The year 1983 marked the quadricentennial celebration of the establishment of the Civil Government of the Province of Cagayan. In the week long celebration held in Tuguegarao, several Ministers visited the town and province.
New barangays had been formed, so that by 1981, Tuguegarao had 49 barangays, 12 of which were urban. The late 1980s saw the gradual expansion of the urban core of Tuguegarao to the outlying barangays of Ugac, Caritan and Atulayan. With the fast rising prices of real estate in the Poblacion. Residents found it very profitable to sell their houses and lots in the Poblacion and to buy lots in the barangay surrounding the Poblacion, so that they would still be near the market, the schools, their offices and business, the church, the stores and recreation spots.
By 1980, Tuguegarao had a population of 73,507. The increase in population could be attributed to various factors. One is the increasing peace and order problems in the other towns in the region, driving the people to Tuguegarao, which relatively is free of the insurgency problem with the visible presence of the military and due to the town's geographic location. Another factor is the presence of the schools, whose quality of education is highly comparable to that of Metropolitan Manila. Others come because of trade and industry. Another reason is the completion of the Maharlika Highway, which made Region 02 more accessible. Of very great consideration is the town's tremendous improvement in social services and infrastructure facilities since 1975. The immigrants, seeing that the people of Tuguegarao are generally peaceful and gentle and that the town could sufficiently sustain a comfortable life, decide to stay for good. And then, of course, the children and grandchildren of Tuguegarao, after their sojourn in the cities for education, first jobs and professional trainings, come back to Tuguegarao to build their homes and careers.
Tuguegarao's sky line has greatly changed over the years. In the 1980s and 1990s, there are multi-storey buildings in the Poblacion, landscaped schools and homes, cable television, air-conditioned buses, jet flights, telegraph and telex services, door-to-door delivery services, domestic and overseas long-distance calls, luxurious social amenities and other trappings of a highly urbanized town. It has been observed that Tuguegarao's Calle Commercio, now called Bonifacio Street improved dramatically after every fire, which happens periodically in this town which was carved out of the wilderness by fire.
Tuguegarao, the capital of the Province of Cagayan and the center of Region 02, has undergone a lot of changes and will continue to change to better serve its purpose. Though not verbalized, the town is dear to its people. No matter in what shape or state the town is, its people continue to make it function. Tuguegarao is a hometown its inhabitants will always return to.
People of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
- Total Population of Tuguegarao City as of May 1, 2010 census: 138,865
- Registered Voters as of 2010: 84,009
The Sangguniang Panlungsod is composed of the City (Municipality) Vice-Mayor as Presiding Officer, regular Sanggunian members (Councilors), the President of the Association of Barangay Captains and the President of the Sangguniang Kabataan.
They shall exercise and perform the legislative powers and duties as provided for under Republic Act No. 7160, otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991. Shall consider and conduct thorough study all matters brought to their attention and consequently pass resolutions, enact ordinances and to introduce recommendations.
- Elected officials of Tuguegarao City for the term of 2013-2016
- Mayor of Tuguegarao City: SORIANO, JEFF (NPC)
- Vice-Mayor of Tuguegarao City: CARONAN, JOJO (NUP)
- Councilors of Tuguegarao City:
- DE GUZMAN, BEN-BEN (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 27423 6.88%
- RESUELLO, PASTOR ROSS INDEPENDENT 27053 6.78%
- ORTIZ, BOYET (UNA) UNITED NATIONALIST ALLIANCE 24812 6.22%
- TUMALIUAN, PERLA (UNA) UNITED NATIONALIST ALLIANCE 21403 5.37%
- TING, MAILA (UNA) UNITED NATIONALIST ALLIANCE 20678 5.18%
- MORA, NOEL (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 20345 5.10%
- BAYONA, JUDE (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 18896 4.74%
- CALUBAQUIB, KENDRICK (NUP) NATIONAL UNITY PARTY 18730 4.70%
- VALDEPEÑAS, ETO (UNA) UNITED NATIONALIST ALLIANCE 18484 4.63%
- DAYAG, MIMI (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 17840 4.47%
- Elected officials of Tuguegarao City for the term of 2010-2013
- Mayor: Delfin Telan Ting
- Vice-Mayor: Danilo Lingan Baccay
Barangay Elected Officials of Tuguegarao City (Capital), Cagayan
Businesses in Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
- Take a picture of your Business in Tuguegarao City. Upload that picture here in zamboanga.com and that picture can immediately be your business webpage. It is that easy.
- Here is an example of a picture that became the webpage of the business: Aderes Flea Market
- Businesses in Tuguegarao City
- Auto and Motorcycle dealers
- Banks and Financial Institutions in Tuguegarao City
- Clinics and Hospitals
- Convenient Stores, Hardware and Supplies, General Stores
- Department Stores and Appliance Stores
- Hotels, Motels, Pension Houses and Boarding
- Pharmacies or Drug Stores
- Repair Shops
- Restaurants, Carenderias, Coffee Shops and Resorts in Tuguegarao City
- Salons and Barber Shops
- Supermarket, wet market
- How to Improve Your Business and Livelihood
The Philippine Livelihood Program: The Philippine government provides several programs to enhance the livelihood of the Filipino people. The department of Science and Technology through its Technology Research Center (TRC) regurlarly conducts various types of hands-on and personalized training programs.
- DOST - Website
- UPLiFT stands for Urban Program for Livelihood Finance and Training. - Website
- DSWD Pro-poor and Livelihood Programs - Website
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Tuguegarao City, you can list that property for free. Click to VIEW, EDIT, or ADD Realty Listings.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here in Z-Wiki.
- If you are a real estate developer, you can list your subdivision, condominiums, high rises, apartment complexes, shopping strips or malls, open market developments here in Z-wiki for Free.
Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
The name of your church, mosque, or place of worship can be listed here. We can even provide you with a free webpage for you. We can help you.
Schools in Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
School year 2014-2015 starts June 2, 2014 and ends March 27, 2015, for public elementary and secondary schools. The school year will have 201 school days, of which 180 days are “nonnegotiable” student-teacher contact time.
The name of your school in Tuguegarao City can be listed here. You can list it like this:
- Name of School. Private or Public. It can be an elementary school, high school, college.
- Address of your school
- Telephone Number
- Principal of the school
You can also create a webpage for your school. We can help you.
Economy of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Tuguegarao City you can post that article here. If you come across any news items that talk about the economy of Tuguegarao City, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
If you have a job available and that job is within Tuguegarao City, Philippines, you may post it here.
Remember to be as descriptive as possible and to post your Company name, Contact person, physical address, email address and Phone number.
Post expiration of Job Application. Go ahead and Click to Insert your job offer in the "Jobs in Tuguegarao City" page.
Natural Resources of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Tuguegarao City in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Tuguegarao City. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Tuguegarao City landmarks here.
Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
Every city has some sort of a festival or tradition that is celebrated every year. In the Philippines almost all barangays that are predominantly populated by Christians celebrate fiesta. Tell us about the festivals, fiestas and traditions of Tuguegarao City.
Featured News of The Philippines
- Philippine economy rebounds, joins Asia top performers
- Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:32 pm
- MANILA, August 28, 2014 (AFP) - The Philippine economy rebounded to post 6.4-percent growth in the second quarter and regain its status as one of the strongest in Asia, authorities said Thursday.
- The private sector took the lead as the economy recovered from a relatively modest expansion of 5.6 percent in the first quarter, which was partly due to the impact of devastating natural disasters, economic chiefs said ........................ Full Story»
- Phl stocks extend winning streak
- Wednesday, August 27, 2014 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine Stock Exchange index (PSEi) extended yesterday its winning streak, closing above the 7,100-mark for the second time this year.
- Despite fluctuating throughout the day, the PSEi managed to gain 0.19 percent or 13.26 points to close at a fresh 14-month high of 7,146.35. The broader all shares index also inched up 0.09 percent or 3.87 points to 4,221.42 ........................ Full Story»
- Carabao Festival
- Date: May 14 - Location: Angono, Rizal
- Farmers pay tribute to their patron saints; a procession of carabao carts bearing a myriad local produce is held; prizes are awarded to the strongest and most beautifully decorated carabaos.
- Date: May 14 Location: Pulilan, Bulacan
- Hundreds of festively adorned carabaos are paraded by their farmer-owners on the street leading to the church; there the carabaos are made to kneel down as a homage to San Isidro de Labrado, the patron saint of farmers.
- Long jumper Torres makes PH team, finally
- Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:01 am
- WOMEN’S long jumper Marestella Torres has finally made the cut to the national contingent headed for the Asian Games in Incheon, Korea.
- She made it after clearing 6.45 meters during the 2014 Singapore Open Track and Field Championships at the Choa Chu Kang Stadium in Singapore last Saturday ............................. Full Story»
Your Story about Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines
Tell your story about Tuguegarao City. You can talk about the good things in Tuguegarao City or simply talk about the past. You can talk about the eco-system of Tuguegarao City. What is the local LGU doing about the preservation of your natural resources? The topic can start here and once it gets bigger it can have a page of its own in Z-Wiki. It's all up to you.
Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be posted in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages
- Do the following so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Tuguegarao City.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Tuguegarao City Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Cagayan Province Photo Gallery]]
*[[Tuguegarao City, Cagayan, Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are taken from the department of tourism, comelec, natioanal statistical board, DILG, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.