Sta. Maria Zamboanga City Philippines
98 Barangays of Zamboanga City within Region 9 - Mindanao in the Republic of The Philippines
Arena Blanco • Ayala • Baliwasan • Baluno • Boalan • Bolong • Buenavista • Bunguiao • Busay • Cabaluay • Cabatangan • Cacao • Calabasa • Calarian • Camino Nuevo • Campo Islam • Canelar • Capisan • Cawit • Culianan • Curuan • Daap • Dita • Divisoria • Dulian Bunguiao • Dulian Pasonanca • Guisao • Guiwan • Kasanyangan • La Paz • Labuan • Lamisahan • Landang Gua • Landang Laum • Lanzones • Lapakan • Latuan Curuan • Licomo • Limaong • Limpapa • Lubigan • Lumayang • Lumbangan • Lunzuran • Maasin • Malagutay • Mampang • Manalipa • Mangusu • Manicahan • Mariki • Mercedes • Muti • Pamucutan • Pangapuyan • Panubigan • Pasilmanta • Pasobolong • Pasonanca • Patalon • Putik • Quiniput • Recodo • Rio Hondo • Salaan • San Jose Cawa-Cawa • San Jose Gusu • San Ramon • San Roque • Sangali • Sibulao Curuan • Sinubong • Sinunuc • Sta. Barbara • Sta. Catalina • Sta. Maria • Sto. Niño • Tagasilay • Taguiti • Talabaan • Talisayan • Talon-Talon • Taluksangay • Tetuan • Tictapul • Tigbalabag • Tigtabon • Tolosa • Tugbungan • Tulungatung • Tumaga • Tumalutab • Tumitus • Victoria • Vitali • Zambowood • Zone I • Zone II • Zone III • Zone IV
We ask the SK Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage with information updates or Picture Uploads to promote tourism and attract investors.
Sta. Maria Barangay Hall
Sta. Maria Fire Department
Sta. Maria Police Station
Santa Maria Nipa Hut
Muslim mosque at Veterans Ave. and Gov. Ramos
Santa Maria Elementary School
Santa Maria School District Main Office
Location of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
- Distance from City Hall: 3 kilometers
- Location from Downtown: North Approximate
- Population: in 2007 about 40,000
- Area Size in Hectares: 355 hectares Fiesta Date
- Fiesta Date: February 2nd
- Patron Saint: Señora de Candelaria
Sta. Maria is a major hub of a barangay. The city government designated a Police district for Sta. Maria that controls other barrios such as Pasonanca, Tumaga, Lunzuran, & San Roque. The police department is located on Gov. Ramos Rd. As far as the school system is concerned, there are ten other Barangays in the school district of Sta. Maria.
Sta. Maria also has it's own fire department and it's now housed in a brand new building which is shared by the Police department.
History of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
Sta. Maria was one among the first Spanish settlements. It was founded on February 2, 1857.
In the beginning, the street of Sta. Maria had no name. Even the people living there could not give a name to their place and no one bothered to give one, so as to identify the place.
One day, a quack doctor visited this place and was attracted by a beautiful medicinal plant which abound in the place. It has cute yellow flowers which people called it "Yerba Santa Maria". He knew that the herbs were medicinal and wanted to gather some, but due to limited time, he just inquired from the rig-driver as to the name of the street which they were passing by. The driver could not answer, knowing the place has no name.
Upon his return to gather some herbs/yerba, the quack doctor told the driver and the neighborhood, “why don’t you call this place/street "Sta. Maria", to name after the herbs that grow just along the sides of the street?” They thought and pondered over this and the quack doctor suggested that the place be named "Sta. Maria", and everybody approved.
- article from: Sta. Maria LGU
People of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
Elected Government Officials of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
- Elected Santa Maria Barangay Officers of 2013 - 2016
- Punong Barangay Tan, Abraham Solis
- Barangay Kagawad Angeles, Los Eli Basilio
- Barangay Kagawad Atilano, Girlie Reyes
- Barangay Kagawad Lacandalo, Justo Midel
- Barangay Kagawad Bayot , Bernardino Jr. De La Peña
- Barangay Kagawad Fernandez, Nieto Garcia
- Barangay Kagawad Bañez, Elmer Bonifacio
- Barangay Kagawad Fabian, Cielito Alfonso
- Elected Santa Maria Barangay Officers of 2010 - 2013
- Santa Maria, Barangay Chairman, Justo M. Lacandalo
- Santa Maria, Kagawad 1, Abraham S. Tan
- Santa Maria, Kagawad 2, Corazon G. Herico
- Santa Maria, Kagawad 3, Los Eli B. Angeles
- Santa Maria, Kagawad 4, Romeo G. Fabian
- Santa Maria, Kagawad 5, Reinfrido E. Ruste
- Santa Maria, Kagawad 6, Ricky D. Jimenea
- Santa Maria, Kagawad 7, Antonio G. Fernando
- Santa Maria, SK Chairman, Robert Dodge S. Jimenea
- Elected Santa Maria Barangay Officers of 2007 - 2010
- Punong Barangay: Justo M. Lacandalo
- Barangay Kagawad:
- Secretary: Rogelio Sta. Maria
- Treasurer: Reinfrido E. Ruste
- SK Chairman: - Joe-fel P. De las Peñas
- SK Kagawad:
Businesses in Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
- We invite you to list your business located in the barangay of Sta. Maria.
- If you have a bakery list it here.
- If you have a pharmacy it can be listed here too.
- Hardware stores, Agrivets, salon, spas, restaurants, pension houses, etc. are welcome to be listed.
- We do not allow external links. If you have an external site for your business you may not link to it in Z-Wiki but you can point to it. e.g. www.mysantamaria.com - this tells the people of your website but it does not link to it.
- NT Agrivet, Veterans Ave. Ext.
- Restaurants, Bakeries
Real Estate or Properties for Sale or lease in Santa Maria, Zamboanga City
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Santa Maria, you can list that property for FREE HERE in Z-wiki.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale for free here in Z-Wiki
Religions in Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
- Our Lady of the Purification Parish - ( Founded: 1935 )
- Msgr. Peter Garces - Parish Priest
- Fr. Romeo Tocop - Parochial Vicar
- Our Lady of the Purification Parish - ( Founded: 1935 )
The Muslims, Christians and other religious groups co-exist peacefully in Zamboanga City.
Schools in Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
- Public Elementary School: The enrollment of the school is at 3,500 as of the year 2007. Every year, the population increases. The principal of the school is Cleotilde A. San Luis
- High School: Don Pablo A. Lorenzo High School is located on Gov. Ramos Rd. The principal of the school is Ms. Norma M. Macrohon, and her daughter Catherine also teaches there. Click here for high school reunions.
Economy of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Sta. Maria you can post that article here. If you come across any news items that talk about the economy of Sta. Maria, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
Natural Resources of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Sta. Maria in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Sta. Maria. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Sta. Maria landmarks here.
Fiestas and Traditions of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
Barangay Fiesta: every 2nd of February
Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be posted in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages
Your Story about Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
Families of Sta. Maria, Zamboanga City
List of Families whose names are deeply rooted in Sta. Maria.
NameAA | NameBB | NameCC | NameDD | NameEE
Click on LINK to view all the Sta. Maria Zamboanga City Photo Gallery
- Sta. Maria Zamboanga City Photo Gallery
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Sta. Maria.
- Copy and paste the code below in "blue" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Sta. Maria Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
*[[Sta. Maria Zamboanga City Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are taken from the department of tourism, comelec, natioanal statistical board, DILG, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.