Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
Barangays of Lapu-Lapu City, in the Cebu Province within Region 7 in the Republic of the Philippines
Agus | Babag | Bankal | Baring | Basak | Buaya | Calawisan | Canjulao | Caw-oy | Cawhagan | Caubian | Gun-ob | Ibo | Looc | Mactan | Maribago | Marigondon | Pajac | Pajo | Pangan-an | Poblacion | Punta Engaño | Pusok | Sabang | San Vicente | Santa Rosa | Subabasbas | Talima | Tingo | Tungasan
We ask the Barangay Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage with information updates or Picture Uploads to promote tourism and attract investors.
|Adopt this webpage. Help your community get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Help us improve this webpage.|
List of Municipalities (44) in the Cebu Province within Region VII in the Republic of The Philippines
Alcantara • Alcoy • Alegria • Aloguinsan • Argao • Asturias • Badian • Balamban • Bantayan • Barili • Boljoon • Borbon • Carmen • Catmon • Compostela • Consolacion • Cordova • Daanbantayan • Dalaguete • Dumanjug • Ginatilan • Liloan • Madridejos • Malabuyoc • Medellin • Minglanilla • Moalboal • Oslob • Pilar • Pinamungahan • Poro • Ronda • Samboan • San Fernando • San Francisco • San Remigio • Santa Fe • Santander • Sibonga • Sogod • Tabogon • Tabuelan • Tuburan • Tudela
*Cities (9) in the Province of Cebu: Bogo City • Carcar City • Cebu City • Danao City • Lapu-Lapu City • Mandaue City • Naga City • Talisay City • Toledo City
Lapu Lapu City Seal
Lapu Lapu City Map Locator
|Location of The Province of Cebu in The Philippines|
In as few as 45 minutes a child or anyone can be saved from a lifetime of pain, shame and isolation. You can give them a chance to go to school, make friends and have a bright future. For as little as 100 pesos you can help provide a surgery for a child suffering from a cleft palate or cleft lip(harelip).
One act of random kindness at a time.Visit our website: B.O.S.S.
|The Hilton and Shanrila in Lapu-Lapu City|
- Lapu-Lapu City has a total of 30 barangays.
- Registered Voters of Lapu-Lapu City as of (2010) = 151,815
- Population of Lapu-Lapu City (as of Aug 1, 2007) = 292,530
- Land Area of Lapu-Lapu City (as of 2007, in hectares) = 5,810
- Lapu-Lapu City is a 1st class City and Highly Urbanized.
- Lapu-Lapu City is in the Cebu province and within Region VII-Central Visayas.
Location of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
- 10.3167° N, 123.9500° E - Lapu-Lapu, Philippines, Coordinates
History of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
In the 16th century Mactan Island was colonized by Spain. An Augustinians friar founded the town of Opon in 1730 and became a city in 1961 and was renamed after Datu Lapu-Lapu, a Muslim king who defeated Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan in 1521. This battle is commemorated at the Lapu-Lapu shrine in Punta Engaño.
Politician Manuel A. Zosa, the representative of the Sixth District of Cebu, sponsored the Bill converting the former municipality of Opon into the present day City of Lapu-Lapu. This was the Republic Act 3134, known as the City Charter of Lapu-Lapu which was signed on June 17, 1961 by president Carlos P. Garcia.
Lapu-Lapu is considered one of the greatest figures of ancient Philippine history. Although the first thing that usually comes to mind when the name of Lapu-Lapu is mentioned is the fact that his battle with Magellan led to Magellan’s death, Lapu-Lapu was not honoured because of that. Rather, he is honoured because he was among the first to reject submission to a foreign power even though Raja Humabon, ruler of the neighbouring island of Cebu, and other chiefs recognized the king of Spain as their ruler and agreed to pay tribute.
Chief Lapu-Lapu’s (1491-1542) other name is Kolipulako. The hero of Mactan and conqueror of Magellan is described as stern, proud, intelligent, and unyielding. He waged continuous war against the powerful ruler of Cebu, then a very much greater kingdom than his little island of Mactan.
History has it that Mactan Island although small was a thriving community when the great Magellan was in Cebu. The brave Spanish navigator and soldier, upon learning that some inhabitants on this tiny island across Cebu refused to recognize the King of Spain, burned one of the villages. Lapu-Lapu was one of the native leaders who refused to acknowledge the sovereignty of Spain over the Islands.
When Magellan, with three boatloads of Spaniards and twenty boatloads of Cebuanos, went to Mactan to help a friendly chief, Lapu-Lapu and his men armed with native fighting elements, wooden shields, bows and arrows, lances, met them. The invading Spaniards and Cebuanos were driven back to their boats, but their brace leader, Magellan, met death in the hands of Lapu-Lapu. On what is believed to be the exact spot where Magellan fell and died now stands an imposing monument in honour of the gallant explorer.
- Lapu-Lapu Shrine
The battle between Mactan Island Chieftain Lapu-Lapu and the foreign aggressor Ferdinand Magellan occurred in April 27, 1521. It depicts the hero holding a bolo in one hand and a shield on the other. Said weapons were believed to have been used during his combat with Magellan. This monument stands as a reminder of Filipino bravery.
The Lapu-Lapu shrine is a 20-meter bronze statue in Punta Engaño, Mactan Island, Philippines, erected in honour of Datu Lapu-Lapu, a Muslim king who defeated Spanish soldiers and killed Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan in the Battle of Mactan on 1521.
Some natives believe that in his final years, Lapu-Lapu did not die, and has been turned into a stone, and is forever guarding the seas of Mactan. Fishermen in the island city throw coins at a stone shaped like a man as a way of asking for permission to fish in the chieftain’s territory.
Another story passed on by the natives of the land says Lapu-Lapu became the statue placed on a pedestal at the center of the plaza. The statue faces the old city hall building where the mayors used to hold office and once held a crossbow in the immortal stance of someone about to shoot an arrow at an enemy. The people of the city decided to change this crossbow with a bolo after a succession of three mayors died due to a heart attack.
- Article verbatim from: www.lapulaputourism.com/
People of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
- Total Population of Lapu-Lapu City (as of 2010) Census= 350,467
- Total Population of Lapu-Lapu City (as of Aug 1, 2007) Census= 292,530
- Lapu-Lapu City total Registered Voters as of (2010) per COMELEC= 167,085
The Sangguniang Panlungsod is composed of the City (Municipality) Vice-Mayor as Presiding Officer, regular Sanggunian members (Councilors), the President of the Association of Barangay Captains and the President of the Sangguniang Kabataan.
They shall exercise and perform the legislative powers and duties as provided for under Republic Act No. 7160, otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991. Shall consider and conduct thorough study all matters brought to their attention and consequently pass resolutions, enact ordinances and to introduce recommendations.
- Lapu-Lapu City is an independent city and is highly urbanized. It is within the province of Cebu but it has its own separate election. The registered voters of Lapu-Lapu City can't run for office or vote for anyone outside of Lapu-Lapu City. They are not eligible to participate in provincial elections.
- Elected officials of Lapu-Lapu City for the term of 2013-2016
- Mayor of Lapu-Lapu City: Paz Corro Radaza - LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS
- Vice-Mayor of Lapu-Lapu City: Marcial Abapo Ycong - LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS
- Councilors of Lapu-Lapu City:
- RADAZA, HARRY (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 64794 6.31%
- HERRERA, EFREN (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 61120 5.95%
- MALINGIN, QUEENIE (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 59690 5.81%
- PATALINJUG, BOY (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 57796 5.63%
- SENERPIDA, TITING (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 56935 5.54%
- GESTOPA, JUNREY (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 53696 5.23%
- WAGWAG, ROQUE (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 53178 5.18%
- BERDIN, DONGDONG (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 52393 5.10%
- CUIZON, EDDIE (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 51508 5.01%
- DIGNOS-VIDAL, MELISSA (LAKAS) LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS 47388 4.61%
- House of Representaive
- Congresswoman of the Lone District of Lapu-Lapu City: RADAZA, AILEEN - LAKAS CHRISTIAN MUSLIM DEMOCRATS
- Elected officials of Lapu-Lapu City for the term of 2010-2013
- Mayor: Paz Corro Radaza
- Vice-Mayor: Marcial Abapo Ycong
- Efren Tumulak Herrera
- Harry Don Anderson Radaza
- Eduardo Lumapas Cuizon
- Eduardo Ramos Patalinjug
- Alexander Mata Gestopa Jr.
- Francisco Matidios Senerpida
- Rodolfo Patalinghug Potot
- Queenie Ferrer Malingin-Ammann
- Melissa Mosquera Dignos-Vidal
- Cornelio Abucejo Pahang
- Florito Tumulak Pozon
- Roque Paquibot Wagwag
Barangays Elected Officials of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu
Businesses in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
- How to Improve Your Business and Livelihood
The Philippine Livelihood Program: The Philippine government provides several programs to enhance the livelihood of the Filipino people. The department of Science and Technology through its Technology Research Center (TRC) regurlarly conducts various types of hands-on and personalized training programs.
- DOST - Website
- UPLiFT stands for Urban Program for Livelihood Finance and Training. - Website
- DSWD Pro-poor and Livelihood Programs - Website
Take a picture of your Business (from a Sari-Sari Store to a Mega Mall). Upload that picture here in zamboanga.com and that picture can immediately be your business webpage. It is that easy. Here are two examples of how a picture becomes the webpage of the business: Twins Fried Chicken Restaurant and ABC Shopping Center
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Possible Businesses
- Auto, Trucks, Motorcycle and Bicycle dealers
- Banks, Lending Firms, Pawnshops, and Financial Institutions
- Clinics, Veterinary Clinics and Hospitals
- Pharmacies, Drug Stores, Agri-Vets
- Convenient Stores, Hardware and Supplies, General Stores, Sari-Sari Stores, Internet-Cafes
- Department Stores and Appliance Stores
- Supermarket, wet market, Fish Markets
- Hotels, Motels, Pension Houses, Boarding houses and Resorts
- Repair Shops: Shoe repair, Cellphone, Bikes (bicycles), motorcycles etc...
- Restaurants, Carenderias, Coffee Shops, and Bakeries (Bakeshops)
- Salons, Spas, Beauty Shops and Barber Shops
- Gas Stations, Water Stations, Propane Stations
Real Estate or Properties for Sale in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Lapu-Lapu City, you can list that property for FREE HERE in Z-wiki.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale for free here in Z-Wiki
Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
The name of your church, mosque, or place of worship can be listed here. Take a picture of the facade of your church or place of worship and it can be posted here. We can even provide you with a free webpage. You can enter the data here yourself or email the information to email@example.com
Schools in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
School year 2015-2016 starts Monday, June 1, 2015 and ends Friday, April 1, 2016, for public elementary and secondary schools. The SY will consist of 201 school days, inclusive of the five-day In-Service Training (INSET) break. The different school events and activities, including the number of school days per quarter, are contained in Enclosure No. 1. Source: Department of Education
The name of your school in Lapu-Lapu City can be listed here. You can list it like this:
- Name of School. Private or Public. It can be an elementary school, high school, college.
- Address of your school
- Telephone Number
- Principal of the school
You can also create a webpage for your school. We can help you.
Economy of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Lapu-Lapu City you can post that article here. If you come across any news items that talk about the economy of Lapu-Lapu City, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
If you have a job available and that job is within Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines, you may post it here.
Remember to be as descriptive as possible and to post your Company name, Contact person, physical address, email address and Phone number.
Post expiration of Job Application. Go ahead and Click to Insert your job offer in the "Jobs in Lapu-Lapu City" page.
Tourists Attractions of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Lapu-Lapu City in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Lapu-Lapu City. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Lapu-Lapu City landmarks here.
Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
Every city has some sort of a festival or tradition that is celebrated every year. In the Philippines almost all barangays that are predominantly populated by Christians celebrate fiesta. Tell us about the festivals, fiestas and traditions of Lapu-Lapu City.
Your Story about Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
Create you own personal page about the barangay in the municipality or City you live in. Title it like so for specificity: "Mybarangay, MyCityMunicipality, Myprovince, Philippines by MyFirstname Mylastname". You can update and edit this page anytime and anyway you want. It does not have to follow the standard format of the main wiki. It is your page. A link to your page will be inserted in this main barangay page. Here is an example page.
If you want the tittle to be more generic then do this: "Philippines by Your name". You can insert your picture of anywhere in the Philippines in this page. This will be your personal WIKI social media page.
You can talk about your personal experiences, your advocacies, the environmental conditions of your barangay, municipality, city or province.
The oldest man or woman in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
Do you know who the oldest man or woman is in your community of Lapu-Lapu City? Zamboanga.com is starting this inquiry in order to honor the older generation of the Philippines. Please provide the full name and date of birth of the elder living in Lapu-Lapu City. We will then post your entry in the Oldest Man or Woman in the Philippines page.
Natural Resources of Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Featured News of The Philippines
- PH reaping benefits of EU access
- Monday, October 5, 2015 1:36 am
- THE PHILIPPINES has already started to reap significant benefits from its inclusion in the European Union’s (EU) new generalized scheme of preferences (GSP+) as exports to the 28-member bloc have already risen by 23 percent in the first half of the year.
- Walter van Hattum, head of the economic and trade section of the EU delegation to the Philippines, said in an interview that the strong growth in the first six months of the year could be seen in a number of sectors, namely vegetable products, foodstuff, optical instruments, chemicals, wood products, footwear and pearls ........ Full Story»
- Philippine banks lead in retail financial services
- Sunday, October 4, 2015 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines - Singapore-based publication The Asian Banker sees the Philippines leading the strong growth in the retail financial services market in Asia Pacific on the back of increasing consumption and improved access.
- A study conducted by Asian Banker Research showed the income of commercial banks from retail financial services in Asia Pacific growing 77.5 percent to $824 billion by 2020 from the projected $464 billion this year ........ Full Story»
- Festivals and Events in May
Pattaraday Festival-May 1–5(Santiago city) ★ Katagman Festival - May 3(Oton,Iloilo) ★ Panagat Festival-May 2–8 (Buruanga, Aklan) ★ Binatbatan Festival of the Arts - First week of May, Vigan City ★ Obando Fertility Rites - May 17, 18 & 19 Obando, Bulacan ★ Domorokdok Festival-May 4 Botolan Zambales ★ Bariw Festival- May 14–15 Nabas, Aklan ★ Pahiyas Festival - May 15, Lucban, Quezon ★ Agawan Festival - May 15, Sariaya, Quezon ★ Araquio Festival - May, Gen.Tinio, Nueva Ecija ★ Pasayahan sa Lucena (St. Ferdinand) -May 30, Lucena, Philippines ★ Samahang Bulaklakan Festival - Last Sunday of May, Siniloan, Laguna ★ Tapusan Float Parade Festival - May 31, Alitagtag, Batangas ★ Festivity of Saint Michael - May 7–8 San Miguel, Panganiban, Catanduanes [Louie B. dela Cruz] ★ Binirayan Festival - May 1, San Jose de Buenavista, Antique ★ Araña`t Baluarte Festival- May 15 Gumaca, Quezon ★ Pista ng Banal na Krus- Every 2nd Saturday of May, Tanza, Navotas City ★ Pangisraan Festival- May 1–10 Calatrava, Romblon ★ Ati-atihan Festival - Last Saturday of May - Brgy. 7, Fermont Village, Victorias City, Neg. Occ. ★ Pastulan Festival- Every 2nd Saturday of May. San Pascual, Batangas
- Filipina figure skaters to see action in 2015 AJFSC
- Monday, October 5, 2015 9:39 pm
- Twenty-one young female figure skaters will be vying for honors in the 2015 Asian Junior Figure Skating Challenge (AJFSC) beginning today at the Festival Walk Glacier in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong.
- The Filipinas will compete in various divisions including the Elite Junior, Basic Junior, Basic Novice and Basic Juvenile ................................ Full Story»
Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be shown in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages. Your 2015 Cycling Race or Activity can be Posted here.
- ILOILO CITY, April 27-May 2, 2015 (PNA) – Some 5,000 bikers are expected to join the second Iloilo Bike Festival slated April 27-May 2, 2015 as the city continues to aspire to become a bike-able walkable metropolis. The activity that supported by the John B. Lacson Foundation Maritime University (JBLFMU) and Megaworld Iloilo aims to promote Iloilo as a safe and bike friendly city, promote the share-a-road movement encourage Ilonggos to commute via biking and raise Ilonggos awareness on the benefits of biking on health, safety and environment concerns. Read More....
- CYCLING Le Tour de Filipinas 2015 set as country celebrates 60 years of top-caliber cycling Feb 1 to Feb 4 2015 - View the result of the race: A four stage race. Stage 1 starts in Balanga and back to Balanga for a 126K race Feb 1, 2015 (Sunday); stage 2 starts in Balanga, Bataan to Iba, Zambales for a 154.7 K race Feb 2, 2015 (Monday); stage 3 starts in Iba, Zambales to Lingayen, Pangasinan for a 150.1K race Feb 3, 2015 (Tuesday); stage 4 starts in Lingayen, Pangasinan to Baguio City, Benguet for a 101.7K race Feb 4, 2015 (Wednesday). For a total distance of 532.5 Kms. Read More >>>
- Ronda Pilipinas: Feb 8 - 27 2015:>> Discovering young riders for the national team will be the main objective of the LBC Ronda Pilipinas 2015 when the country’s premiere cycling race hits the road on Feb. 8 in Butuan City. Ronda Pilipinas executive project director Moe Chulani said the international multistage bikathon, which ends on Feb. 27, will have two qualifying legs of four stages each in Mindanao and the Visayas where the top riders will advance to face a tough foreign challenge in the six-stage Luzon finale. Read More>>>
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Danao City.
- Copy and paste the code below in "blue" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Cebu, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
*[[Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu, Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are taken from the Department of Tourism, Comelec, National Statistical Coordination Board, DILG: Department of the Interior and Local Government, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.