Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Allangigan Primero •
Allangigan Segundo •
Bagani Camposanto •
Bagani Gabor •
Bagani Tocgo •
Bagani Ubbog •
Langlangca Primero •
Langlangca Segundo •
Parioc Primero •
Parioc Segundo •
Patpata Primero •
Patpata Segundo •
Salvador Primero •
Salvador Segundo •
San Agustin •
San Andres •
San Antonio •
San Isidro •
San Jose •
San Juan •
San Nicolas •
San Pedro •
Santo Tomas •
Tamurong Primero •
Tamurong Segundo •
We ask the Barangay Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage with information updates or Picture Uploads to promote tourism and attract investors.
|Adopt this webpage. Help your community get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Help us improve this webpage.|
List of Municipalities in the Ilocos Sur province within Region I in the Republic of The Philippines
Alilem | Banayoyo | Bantay | Burgos | Cabugao | Caoayan | Cervantes | Galimuyod | Gregorio Del Pilar | Lidlidda | Magsingal | Nagbukel | Narvacan | Quirino | Salcedo | San Emilio | San Esteban | San Ildefonso | San Juan | San Vicente | Santa | Santa Catalina | Santa Cruz | Santa Lucia | Santa Maria | Santiago | Santo Domingo | Sigay | Sinait | Sugpon | Suyo | Tagudin
Cities in the province of Ilocos Sur: Candon City | Vigan City(Capital)
Candon City Seal
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of Candon City|
Candon City Map Locator
Map of Ilocos Sur Province in the Island of Luzon
In as few as 45 minutes a child or anyone can be saved from a lifetime of pain, shame and isolation. You can give them a chance to go to school, make friends and have a bright future. For as little as 100 pesos you can help provide a surgery for a child suffering from a cleft palate or cleft lip(harelip).
One act of random kindness at a time.Visit our website: B.O.S.S.
Candon City Hall
Geography of Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Candon City Land Area (as of 2007, in hectares)= 10,328
North = Municipality of Santiago, Banayoyo, Lidlidda and San Emilio
South = Municipality of Sta. Lucia
East = Municipalities of Galimuyod and Saldedo
West = South China Sea
Location of Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- 17.2000° N, 120.4500° E - Candon, Coordinates
Look for Candon City in this
History of Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- Article from the LGU of Candon City
The municipality was created in 1780 upon the installation of the first civil government under the Cabeza de Barangay, Don Juan P. Madarang by his eminence D. Mariano de Conquera, an Agustinian Friar.
Like other towns, Candon has its own bit of history and foremost among them is the Candon Uprising popularly known as the “IKKIS TI CANDON”, as a response to the institutionalized abuses and oppressions perpetrated by the Spaniards.
The failure of the “Cry of Pugad Lawin” and “Pact of Biak-na-Bato” prompted Don Isabelo Abaya to organize a revolutionary group on preparation for the renewal of hostilities.
However, the premature discovery of the plot forced the revolutionaries to act swiftly and so on that fateful day of March 25, 1898, the revolutionaries declared war, attacked the Spaniards and established a revolutionary government in Candon.
The Spaniards upon learning that the revolutionaries were busy conquering more towns, sent shock troops (CAZADORES) to re-occupy Candon which was left unguarded to the numerically superior and well armed Spanish soldiers. Most of the leaders and participants of the uprising who surrendered and were arrested and were summarily executed.
During the Japanese occupation, the gallant exploit of Candonino V. Gaerlan manifests the bravery and patriotism of the Candonians. In 1942, with a handful followers, he staged an ambuscade and subsequently destroyed the Alambique steel bridge to harass the advancement of the enemies. Several truckloads of Japanese forces and supplies perished along the national highway. In retaliation however, the remnants of the Japanese soldiers razed the town proper in January 1942, which is considered the greatest conflagration that ever happened in the history of Canon. Also, in the Gabaldon School were atrocities committed by the Imperial Forces lasted until November 1944
How Candon Got its Name
- Here is a story from the LGU of Candon City
This place came to be called “CANDON” in a fanciful tale through the generations of a big tree, which the natives called “KANDONG” and about which life and beauty of the village centered.
This village, so the legend runs, was ruled by the three local chieftains: ABAY-A, MADALANG and KALINIO. Madalang chose as his abode the shade of this gargantuan tree together with his only daughter, the beautiful Ineng, Abay-a and Kalinio for their part lived with their tribes in caves somewhere in Kadanglaan and Kauplasan respectively.
“I am growing fasot old, Ineng”, Madalang said to his daughter. “One day I wish to see you married before Kabunyan calls me to the great beyond. But my child, I would only want a son-in-law who could defeat me in “Gabbu” (wrestling). What do you say Ineng?” And Ineng could only answer sobbing, “I submit to your wishes, dear father”.
And so one day, after the “Kaniaw” was over, the sound of gongs, cymbals and gangza intermingled and reverberated far and wide. Subsequently, the ruling junta composed of elders issued the announcement regarding the wrestling competition.
It was Abay-a who first took the challenge. At the sound of the cymbal, the protagonist, like a wild beast fought savagely. By some freak stings of fate, Abay-a in his unguarded moment unfortunately stumbled over a root of a Kandong tree and lost his balanace. Madalang savagely took advantage of the situation and mercilessly sent Abay-a reeling to the ground with several broken ribs. That was the end of the bout.
Three weeks passed, and this time, Kalinio who is reputed to possess the same human power took up the challenge. Just then, a crow going for its mate carelessly flew overhead as if to augur the impending disaster that would follow. Moments later, the fight began and both protagonist stood their grounds and each manifested signs of being victorious.
Madalang who is reputed to as the most super human among the strongest, tried his old ruse to send Kalinio off balance but was outwitted by his elusive foe. And fate didn’t destine Madalang to defeat Kalinio, so Ineng was married to victorious Kalinio. Just as the celebration is going on the Spanish conquistadors, who were on their way to colonize Northern Luzon, passed by and attacked the merrymakers. Some offered futile resistance, others fled in confusion and fear and those who were taken by surprise and yielded to the onslaught of the invading forces.
Subsequently, the friars assigned in this village ordered the cutting of the Kandong Tree and its place was planted the first cross of evangelization. The timbers taken from the tree was used in the construction of the first Roman Catholic Church in the 6th century.
Beliefs and traditions have it when the colonizers set foot upon this place and inquired as to its name, the natives answered, “KANDONG”, referred to the tree. Since that time on, the place came to be called CANDON.
People of Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- Candon City Population (as of Aug 1, 2007 Census) = 56,270
- Candon City Registered Voters (2009 COMELEC) = 30,960
The Sangguniang Panlungsod is composed of the City (Municipality) Vice-Mayor as Presiding Officer, regular Sanggunian members (Councilors), the President of the Association of Barangay Captains and the President of the Sangguniang Kabataan.
They shall exercise and perform the legislative powers and duties as provided for under Republic Act No. 7160, otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991. Shall consider and conduct thorough study all matters brought to their attention and consequently pass resolutions, enact ordinances and to introduce recommendations.
- Elected officials of Candon City for the term of 2013-2016
- Mayor of Candon City: SINGSON, ERICSON - LIBERAL PARTY
- Vice-Mayor of Candon City: Alfonso Dario Singson - LIBERAL PARTY
- Councilors of Candon City:
- SINGSON, KRISTELLE (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 15371 12.51%
- VALDEZ, GEORGE (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 13823 11.25%
- ITCHON, JOHNNY NESTOR (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 13568 11.04%
- VALDEZ, ARIS (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 12975 10.56%
- ABRERO, RHODANA (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 12959 10.54%
- BALAGOT, ANGEL (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 11203 9.11%
- MANGASAR, INDO (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 11198 9.11%
- ACAL, AILEEN (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 10994 8.94%
- BONA, MARIA CHARINA (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 10907 8.87%
- WAGAYEN, DAVID (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 9910 8.06%
- Elected officials of Candon City for the term of 2010-2013
- Mayor of Candon City: Allen Gacula Singson
- Vice-Mayor of Candon City: Alfonso Dario Singson
- Councilors of Candon City:
Barangay Elected Officials of Candon City, Ilocos Sur
Businesses in Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- How to Improve Your Business and Livelihood
The Philippine Livelihood Program: The Philippine government provides several programs to enhance the livelihood of the Filipino people. The department of Science and Technology through its Technology Research Center (TRC) regurlarly conducts various types of hands-on and personalized training programs.
- DOST - Website
- UPLiFT stands for Urban Program for Livelihood Finance and Training. - Website
- DSWD Pro-poor and Livelihood Programs - Website
Take a picture of your Business (from a Sari-Sari Store to a Mega Mall). Upload that picture here in zamboanga.com and that picture can immediately be your business webpage. It is that easy. Here are two examples of how a picture becomes the webpage of the business: Twins Fried Chicken Restaurant and ABC Shopping Center
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Possible Businesses
- Auto, Trucks, Motorcycle and Bicycle dealers
- Banks, Lending Firms, Pawnshops, and Financial Institutions
- Clinics, Veterinary Clinics and Hospitals
- Pharmacies, Drug Stores, Agri-Vets
- Convenient Stores, Hardware and Supplies, General Stores, Sari-Sari Stores, Internet-Cafes
- Department Stores and Appliance Stores
- Supermarket, wet market, Fish Markets
- Hotels, Motels, Pension Houses, Boarding houses and Resorts
- Repair Shops: Shoe repair, Cellphone, Bikes (bicycles), motorcycles etc...
- Restaurants, Carenderias, Coffee Shops, and Bakeries (Bakeshops)
- Salons, Spas, Beauty Shops and Barber Shops
- Gas Stations, Water Stations, Propane Stations
Real Estate or Properties for Sale or lease in Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Candon City, you can list that property for free.
- VIEW, EDIT or ADD Realty Listings.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here in Z-Wiki
Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
The name of your church, mosque, or place of worship can be listed here. Take a picture of the facade of your church or place of worship and it can be posted here. We can even provide you with a free webpage. You can enter the data here yourself or email the information to email@example.com
Schools in Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
School year 2014-2015 starts June 2, 2014 and ends March 27, 2015, for public elementary and secondary schools. The school year will have 201 school days, of which 180 days are “nonnegotiable” student-teacher contact time.
The name of your school in Candon City can be listed here. You can list it like this:
- Name of School. Private or Public. It can be an elementary school, high school, college.
- Address of your school
- Telephone Number
- Principal of the school
You can also create a webpage for your school. We can help you.
Economy of Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Candon City you can post that article here. If you come across any news items that talk about the economy of Candon City, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
If you have a job available and that job is within Candon City, Philippines, you may post it here.
Remember to be as descriptive as possible and to post your Company name, Contact person, physical address, email address and Phone number.
Post expiration of Job Application. Go ahead and Click to Insert your job offer in the "Jobs in Candon City" page.
Natural Resources of Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
AGRICULTURAL CROPS = acacia, mahogany and various fruit tree plantations, tobacco, rice, corn, cotton, string beans, onions, and coconut.
FISHERIES = Bangus and Tilapia fish nurseries and commercial ponds in the eastern coastal shores.
FORESTRY = The City of Candon has no Public Forests that it can cultivate or conserve, however, Candon City has a communal forest located in the neighboring town of San Emilio consisting of more or less 800 hectares.
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Candon City in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Candon City. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Candon City landmarks here.
Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Every city has some sort of a festival or tradition that is celebrated every year. In the Philippines almost all barangays that are predominantly populated by Christians celebrate fiesta. Tell us about the festivals, fiestas and traditions of Candon City.
Featured News of The Philippines
- Share prices hit new record high
- Friday, March 27, 2015 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines - After weeks of staying below the radar, the Philippine Stock Exchange index surged yesterday to another all-time high ahead of the Monetary Board’s policy setting meeting.
- The PSEi gained 0.44 percent or 34.76 points to zoom to its 20th record close for the year at 7,871.10 ........................ Full Story»
- Bourse closes higher on bargain hunting
- Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) - The Philippine stock market closed at a new high today on bargain hunting.
- The local barometer Philippine Stock Exchange index rose by 0. 44 percent or 34.76 points to 7,871.10, while the broader all- share climbed by 0.30 percent or 13.64 points to 4,546.20 ........................ Full Story»
- Carabao Festival
- Date: May 14 - Location: Angono, Rizal
- Farmers pay tribute to their patron saints; a procession of carabao carts bearing a myriad local produce is held; prizes are awarded to the strongest and most beautifully decorated carabaos.
- Date: May 14 Location: Pulilan, Bulacan
- Hundreds of festively adorned carabaos are paraded by their farmer-owners on the street leading to the church; there the carabaos are made to kneel down as a homage to San Isidro de Labrado, the patron saint of farmers.
- Phl-Dubai polo friendly set Sunday
- Friday, March 27, 2015 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines - Globalport has partnered with Belo Medical Group as they stage the Philippine-Dubai friendly polo showdown dubbed as “Battle of Titans” this Sunday in Makati.
- The partnership was officially sealed Wednesday by Globalport owner Dr. Mikee Romero and Belo Medical Group CEO and founder Dr. Vicki Belo with polo players Rodrigo Bauzada, Andrian Garcia, Anthony Garcia and Tonio Veloso, and Belo’s daughter, Cristalle Henares, in attendance ................................. Full Story»
Your Story about Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Create you own personal page about the barangay in the municipality or City you live in. Title it like so: "Mybarangay, MyCityMunicipality, Myprovince, Philippines by MyFirstname Mylastname". You can update and edit this page anytime and anyway you want. It does not have to follow the standard format of the main wiki. It is your page. A link to your page will be inserted in this main barangay page. Here is an example page.
You can talk about your personal experiences, your advocacies, the environmental conditions of your barangay, municipality, city or province.
The oldest man or woman in Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Do know who the oldest man or woman is in your community of Candon City? Zamboanga.com is starting this inquiry in order to honor the older generation of the Philippines. Please provide the full name and date of birth of the elder living in Candon City. We will then post your entry in the Oldest Man or Woman in the Philippines page.
Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be shown in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages. Your 2015 Cycling Race or Activity can be Posted here.
- CYCLING Le Tour de Filipinas 2015 set as country celebrates 60 years of top-caliber cycling Feb 1 to Feb 4 2015 - View the result of the race: A four stage race. Stage 1 starts in Balanga and back to Balanga for a 126K race Feb 1, 2015 (Sunday); stage 2 starts in Balanga, Bataan to Iba, Zambales for a 154.7 K race Feb 2, 2015 (Monday); stage 3 starts in Iba, Zambales to Lingayen, Pangasinan for a 150.1K race Feb 3, 2015 (Tuesday); stage 4 starts in Lingayen, Pangasinan to Baguio City, Benguet for a 101.7K race Feb 4, 2015 (Wednesday). For a total distance of 532.5 Kms. Read More >>>
- Ronda Pilipinas: Feb 8 - 27 2015:>> Discovering young riders for the national team will be the main objective of the LBC Ronda Pilipinas 2015 when the country’s premiere cycling race hits the road on Feb. 8 in Butuan City. Ronda Pilipinas executive project director Moe Chulani said the international multistage bikathon, which ends on Feb. 27, will have two qualifying legs of four stages each in Mindanao and the Visayas where the top riders will advance to face a tough foreign challenge in the six-stage Luzon finale. Read More>>>
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Candon City.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Ilocos Sur, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
*[[Candon City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are taken from the Department of Tourism, Comelec, National Statistical Coordination Board, DILG: Department of the Interior and Local Government, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.